How to Transfer FTM 2019 to a New Computer?
Bought a new computer or now want to move FTM 2019 on that new one but facing issue? Don’t worry, this post will guide you how to transfer FTM 2019 to a new computer with easy steps.
Family Tree Maker 2019 software makes it easy. You can transfer your family tree files between different computers and operating systems. Remember one thing is when you will transfer your files from one computer to another, you must first see that you already have Family Tree Maker 2019 installed.
How to Transfer Backup to a New Computer?
The first thing, you should do when you transfer your family tree from an old computer to a new computer is taking a backup of your family tree files.
If you do not know how to back up Family Tree Maker files, then don’t worry. Here we give some simple steps for taking a backup of a family tree files.
Follow the given steps for taking a backup of Family Tree Maker files.
- First, open Family Tree Maker 2019 on your computer.
- Then click the File menu on the toolbar and choose Export.
- After this the export file windows will open. In the export file window, you will find options to specify which individuals you want to include or exclude from the export.
- After that you select an output format.
- Once you’ve selected the output format, review options such as Personalization of Lives, Include Personal Facts, and choose what you want to export.
- After this you can choose a save location on your computer or external media. You can also change the name of the file if needed.
- After that click on save button to finish.
You have successful get a backup of a family tree.
Transferring FTM 2019 to a New Computer [Step-By-Step Guide]
When you will transfer Family Tree Maker 2019 from one computer to another, make sure that FTM 2019 is already installed on both computers. You’ll also need a removable storage device, such as a flash drive, thumb drive, or external hard drive.
Please follow the given steps for transferring FTM 2019 to a new computer.
- Start Family Tree Maker 2019. After that find the location of the file that you exported. After that click on Next and right click on the file and select copy.
- Now you can save the exported file onto a USB flash drive. Simply insert the USB flash drive into your computer’s USB port and then navigate to the Start Menu, followed by selecting “My Computer” to access the drive.
- In the newly opened window, right-click on an empty space and a menu will appear. From this menu, select the “Paste” option to transfer the exported file from your computer to the USB flash drive.
- Now your Family Tree Maker 2019 file has been copied to your flash drive. After doing this you should see the files listed on your flash drive. Processing the file may take a few minutes, depending on the size of your file. Now you can unplug your flash drive from the first computer and plug it into the second one.
- After you’ve inserted the USB into your computer, first copy your files to the computer before you can insert them into Family Tree Maker. Select Computer from the Start menu and double-click the drive icon to open your flash drive.
- Find the icon for your Family folder on your flash drive. Then right click on the icon and choose copy. Next, right-click on an empty space on your desktop and choose “Paste” to transfer the Family folder from the flash drive to your desktop.
By following the above-mentioned steps, you can easily transfer Family Tree Maker 2019 to a new computer.
How do I restore my Family Tree Maker to a new computer?
Now your files are copied to your other computer, and it will be much easier for you to store them in Family Tree Maker 2019.
Follow the below given steps to restore your Transfer FTM 2019 on a new computer.
- First, you must click on the File menu and then select the Restore option.
- Then click on Restore Windows to select the file.
- Then navigate to the location of the backup file and double click on it to open it.
- Then choose a name for the restored file, then click Save. The file will be restored.
This is how you can easily transfer FTM 2019 to a new computer. However, if you encounter any difficulties or face challenges during the transfer, we are here to help.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our dedicated technical support team for assistance. You can contact us through our provided technical support number +1-800-566-7300 or engage in a live chat with our knowledgeable representatives.
Ans: – Yes, you can install family tree maker 2019 on two computers. once you purchase the family pack of FTM 2019, you can record family tree maker on up to 3 computers in your home.
Ans: – Yes, you can install Family Tree Maker 2019 on up to 3 devices in your home. The three computers can be any combination of Mac and Windows. If you have desktop and laptop computers on the same platform and you are the sole user of both, then you do not need to buy the family pack.
Ans: – To export the data, first click on the File menu and select Export. After that the export windows will open. Select Entire File to copy all individuals to a new file or Select Selected Individuals to choose which individuals to include in the export.
Ans: – Start Family Tree Maker 2019. After that find the location of the file that you exported. After that click on Next and right click on the file and select copy.
Ans: – Click on File Options, and then click on Backup. If you want to change the name of the Family Tree backup file, you can change it. You can choose the location of your backup files from DVD, Flash Drive or Hard Drive and then choose Custom Directory option and then click on Change.
Ans: – If you want to sync family tree maker with ancestry, then you will need family tree maker 2017 or 2019. If you have these two versions, then you can sync ancestor trees, search for ancestor records, and get ancestors pointers.