How do I import an Existing file into Family Tree Maker?
Are you trying to Importing an Existing File in FTM for Windows?. Or you would like to know more about how to go about the process of Family Tree Maker files? Well, then you would be extremely glad to know that in this blog you will find everything that you are looking for.
Steps for import an existing file into FTM 2009 – 2012
- Firstly, you got to click on the ‘Plan’ button it’s on the main toolbar.
- Then you need to click on the ‘New Tree’ tab.
- You now also need to click on the ‘Import a tree from an existing file’ option.
- After that, you should click on ‘Browser’.
- You will now have the browser to the location of the family tree file, you need to highlight it and then click on the ‘Open’ button.
- If needed, you can go ahead and change the name for the file in the ‘New tree name’ field.
- And now you just need to click on ‘Continue’ then when the import is completed you will receive an ‘Import Complete’ window; you must click on the ‘Close’ button to start the tree.
Steps to importing an existing file into FTM 2014 – 2009
- You need to start by selecting the ‘Plan’ workspace from the main toolbar and then clicking on the ‘New Tree’ tab.
- Next, you got to browse to the location of the family tree file and click on the ‘Open’ button.
- And if required, you can change the name for the file in the ‘New Tree name’ field.
- At last, you should click on ‘Continue’ and when the import is completed then you will receive an ‘Import Complete’ window. You now just need to click on ‘Close’ to start using the tree.
IMPORTANT: Types of genealogical files supported by Family Tree Maker file converter
- FTM Files – .ftw, .fbk, .ftm
- Personal Ancestral Files – .paf
- GEDCOM Files – .ged
- Master Genealogist Files – .pjc
- The Ultimate FTM Files – .uft (is not supported by FTM 2014-2017)
- Sierra Generations Files – .uds (This is only for FTM 2011)
- Legacy Files – .leg, .fdb
NOTE: You should know that the files saved in Legacy 8.0 format cannot be imported into FTM. But in Legacy 8.0 software you have the option to choose to export files in Legacy 7.0 format, this will then allow you to import them into FTM.
Legacy 9.0 files cannot be imported directly to FTM or either exported to Legacy 7.0 format however, you can convert FTM files to GEDCOM format.
Additionally, you need to know that FTM 2008 – 2014 does not support FBC or FTM 1.0 – 4.0 file types. And therefore, to import these trees you would need to use the ‘FTM 2005 Starter Edition’ as a go-between.
This post is all about Convert FTM file to Gedcom on your device. For Further Assistance, you can call us at +1-800-566-7300. You can also connect with us via genealogist live chat support. It is our free tech support service.
- Check the best family tree website for genealogy research
- Analyze your family tree with family tree analyzer
- How to use Tree Browser to manage your Trees
Ans:- Firstly, open the FTM file on Windows – now in version up to 6, you will need to select ‘File > Open’ and then navigate to your FTM file.
After that, select the ‘Open’ button, in version 7 you would need to right-click on your FTM file, and then select ‘Open with’.
Ans:- on Windows 10, you just need to double-click on the file (GEDCOM has file extensions).
Ans:- You can open GEDCOM files in genealogy applications such as RootsMagic (Windows, Mac), Ancestry.com, and FamilySearch.org etc.
Ans:- You need to drag and drop the file you want to convert to the highlighted area then upload it from your device storage of the cloud, now just pause while it’s processing.