Do you want to learn how to make a family tree on Google Docs? Well, then you will already start within no time as in this blog you will come across just what you’re looking for. Moreover, you also know that Google Docs is a user-friendly tool that can help to make your tasks hassle-free so you should go ahead and give it a try without any second thoughts.
Below you will learn how to create a detailed and visually amazing family tree by using Google Docs which is a simple intuitive, and free platform, now without having to wait anymore let’s get straight into your heritage and start building your family tree.
Step-by-step guide on family tree on Google Docs
follow the instructions below to make a Family Tree on Google Docs:
Open Google Docs
- You will need to start by logging into your Google account first.
- And then once you have completed this initial step you should navigate to Google Drive which is under Google’s Suite of apps.
- You should look for and then select ‘New’ on the left side of the panel of the screen.
- Now a drop-down menu will appear on your screen you just need to click on ‘Google Docs.
- After doing so, it will effectively open up a fresh and new document for you to start your work on.
Go to Drawing
- To be able to use the insertion features you will need to start looking for the ‘Insert’ tab first located right at the top of the page.
- You need to click on the ‘Insert’ tab and you should see a range of options appearing in a drop-down menu.
- Alternately, from this menu, you got to find and select the ‘Drawing’ feature and then choose the ‘New’ option.
- After that, you will have a new interactive window launched on your computer screen with the title ‘Drawing’.
- Now this is the place where you can go ahead and create or edit your artwork.
Create your Family Tree
- You need to start right where you are in the user-friendly ‘Drawing’ window. Here you will see options to select a plethora of shape icons.
- The icons are specifically used for creating graphical boxes that symbolically represent individual members of your family tree.
- Usually, most users choose to go for either circles or rectangles due to their simplicity and easy-to-use usage.
- However, the choice is up to you for personalizing your family tree diagram according to your preferences.
Adding text to shapes
- When you are done adding the desired shapes, you should locate the ‘T’ interface icon in the ‘Drawing tool’ selection bar which is at the top of the page, this is the text tool you’ll need.
- You just need to click on it and proceed to click inside of the shapes you need. Now once you are inside you can go ahead and put the name of any family member that you want to add.
Connecting the shapes
- If you want to illustrate the relationships between your family members then you can use lines to interlink the shapes representing each person.
- You just need to simply select the line option from the drawing tool menu that is located at the top of the page and then you can start drawing a line from one shape to another.
- All you need to do now is click on the shape, hold and drag your mouse towards the corresponding shape and then release to connect.
Customizing your Family Tree
- Do you know that you have the freedom to personalize your family tree as per your liking by changing various aspects such as the backdrop color, the size and style of the font, the layout or the boxes and text?
- Well to accomplish all this you would need to utilize the assortment of options that are available in the drawing toolbar, which allows you to effortlessly modify these elements as well as create a display that is visually appealing and informative.
Save & Insert
- Now once you find that your family meets your satisfaction then you should locate the ‘Save and Close’ button that is situated at the top right corner of the drawing window and just click on it to finalize your tree.
- After which your customized family tree will be integrated into your Google Doc and will appear within the document for you to access easily and for further reference.
Adjust the dimensions and Placement
- Here if you feel that you need to resize or reposition the family tree then you just need to place your cursor over it and click on it.
- You can easily adjust the dimensions to a more specific preference just hovering over the corners, clicking and then dragging it to expand or reduce the size.
- If you would like to move your family tree to a new location then you will need to click on the center of the tree and drag it to your desired position.
- You now need to make sure that you handle it carefully to maintain the structure and arrangement of the elements that are within.
Sharing and Saving
- To be able to share your Google Doc encapsulating the family tree, you got to locate the share button that is at the upper right corner of the document window and click on it.
- You should know that the alterations you made have been automatically saved due to Google Drive’s real-time synchronization feature, which spares you from worrying about any data loss.
Well, even though creating a Family Tree on Google Docs can be straightforward it is also an engaging process. Therefore we trust you to learn a lot of new things such as transforming raw historical data into a visual depiction of lineage and connect and how to manage the same easily.
Furthermore, if you need any more information or you have other related concerns feel free to contact the team of experts, right here +1-800-566-7300 . And they will surely assist you in no time providing you with the most suitable details or solutions.